October 24th, 2016, Bocconi University
Call for papers on “Supervision, Market Discipline and the Challenge of Bank Profitability” Eighth International Banking Conference.
Organized by Bocconi Baffi CAREFIN
Sponsored by Intesa-Sanpaolo
The BAFFI CAREFIN Centre for Applied Research on International Markets, Banking, Finance and Regulation at Universita Bocconi in Milan (Italy) announces a call for papers for its eighth International Banking Conference, to be held at Bocconi University on October 24th, 2016.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Danielle Nouy, Chair of the Supervisory Board of the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM)
SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARD:
Viral Acharya, New York University and NBER
Elena Carletti, Universita L. Bocconi and CEPR
Mark Flannery, University of Florida
Paolo Fulghieri, University of North Carolina and ECGI
Nicola Gennaioli, Universita L. Bocconi
Philipp Hartmann, European Central Bank
Iftekhar Hasan, Fordham University
Steven Ongena, University of Zurich, Swiss Finance Institute and CEPR
George Pennacchi, University of Illinois
TOPICS: We are particularly interested in theoretical or empirical papers addressing the issue of banking supervision and market discipline, and the challenge of restoring bank profitability in a context of low rates, moderate growth and economic uncertainty while controlling the level of risk taking. We will consider topics which include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Regulatory supervision and enforcement: design and challenges.
– Effects of low or negative interest rates on banks’ profitability and funding.
– The interaction of market discipline and regulatory standards.
– Resolution mechanisms (bail-in and deposit insurance) and systemic risk.
– The impact of bail-in on banks’ cost of funding and banks’ risk-taking.
– Solvency and liquidity risk.
– The effects of macro-prudential and unconventional monetary policy on financial stability.
– The real effects of banking regulation.
– The shadow banking system’s implications for financial intermediation and regulation.
– The potential role of securitization in a re-regulated banking system.
– The challenge of non-performing loans (NPLs).
– The role of derivatives within the banking system.
– Banks versus financial markets in Europe and the implications of the Capital Market Union for the banking system.
– The relationship between sovereign and bank risk.
Quality research papers on other banking topics will be also considered.
FURTHER INFORMATION: Programs of the past three conferences can be found here: 2015, 2014, 2013.
SELECTION PROCESS AND DEADLINES: The deadline for submission of papers is May 16th, 2016. Papers should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with an e-mail message entitled “BANK CALL”.
Selected authors will be notified by July 4th, 2016.
Accepted papers will be presented at the conference that will be held at Bocconi University, Milan on October 24th, 2016. Travel and accommodation expenses (one author per paper) will be covered by the conference organisers.
A pre-conference dinner will be arranged on the evening of October 23rd to be held in the city center. An informal conference dinner will take place on the evening of October 24th.
Gregorio De Felice
Filippo De Marco
Ms. Erika Somma – Ms. Elena Suragni
Centre for Applied Research on International Markets, Banking, Finance and Regulation
Via Roentgen 1
20136 – Milan (ITALY)